App Youth Terms and Conditions
For the purpose of these terms and conditions, ‘App’ shall refer to both the Barclays app and the Barclaycard app.
What you need to know about your App
Take a close look
This is what you need to agree to and how things work when you use the App on your phone or tablet.
What the App works on
At the moment, the App works on Android 5.0 and iOS 9.3 and above. Some of the features are different, depending on which version of Android or iOS you have. When you’re 16, you’ll be able to upgrade the App to a version that has more features.
Your promises when you use the App
Just like for your BarclayPlus account, when you sign up for the App we ask you to do certain things.
- Make sure that your account details, and other information you give us, are correct and up to date and tell us as soon as these change
- Don’t use the App in a way that could be illegal or could hurt us or another person
There are some other things you need to talk through with your parents or carer before you sign up for the App: there’s more information about these in the section that’s specially for them. Please talk these promises through with them.
How much does it cost?
Barclays won’t charge you for using the App, but your network provider can charge you (or the bill payer) for data as the App uses the internet to work. Before you download the App, make sure you have permission from the person who pays the bill (this could be your parents or carer).
Keep safe while using the App
Because the App is a way of getting into your bank account:
- use a PIN to lock and unlock your phone or tablet so no one else can get into it
- always close the App when you’re not using it
- don’t tell anyone the passcodes for logging into your phone or tablet or the app
- tell your parents or carer straight away if you think someone else could have your information, or asks for it, or could have used your account
Some features need information on your phone or tablet to work
The App may need to access information on your phone or tablet to work. You can limit this for some features, for example by turning off location settings or not using the features (like the ATM finder or personalising your App).
The App will access your photo library or gallery if you want to use your photos to change the background on your phone or tablet. Some features of the App will ask to use your location (for example, the ATM finder, which will need to know where you are). If you have an iPhone or iPad, you’ll get a message on the screen asking you to agree to this so you have the chance to say no.
You can also manage how the App accesses your phone or tablet using (for iOS on Apple) the privacy settings or (for Android phones and tablets) by uninstalling the App, or through the usage settings option in the App’s menu.
When you use the App, we’ll check certain things
To help keep your money safe, when you register and each time you use the App, our computers will check that it’s you. We use the same system to see how you use the App so that we can improve how the App works (for example, it can tell if people keep pressing the wrong buttons accidentally, so we can fix it).
We can also check whether our ads are working – for example we can check if you download the App after clicking on our ad.
These things are needed for the App to work – if you don’t want these, you’ll have to delete the App.
Some parts of the App will use your location
Some of the things in the App, like the ATM finder, need to know your location to work. If you use these elements of the App, it means you agree that we (and other organisations that work with us) can collect and use information about your location.
Maps in the App are provided by Google and Apple – you’ll need to agree to their terms and conditions when using maps:
- Google Maps / Google Earth APIs Terms and Conditions, available at https://www.google.com/accounts/TOS
If something doesn’t look right
If you use the App to see how much money you have and something doesn’t look right (such as if you have less money than you think you should have), tell your parents or carer straight away. Then, if they think someone else could have taken money from your account, you or your parents or carer can let us know. If you haven’t done anything wrong we’ll make sure you get your money back.
If we need to make any changes to the App
If we need to change anything about the App, we’ll tell you about the change in advance (if it affects how you use the App) or we’ll tell you after we make the change (if it benefits you or doesn’t affect how you use the App). We’ll send you a text or alert or display a message about the change when you next use the App or log into our website. If there’s anything we need you to agree we might ask you to read and accept a message on the phone or tablet screen to continue using the App.
From time to time we might issue updates to the App through the app store. Depending on what the update is, you may not be able to use the App until you’ve installed the latest version and accepted the new information about it. We’ll let you know via your phone or tablet when there’s a new version to upload.
This is the parents’ or the carer’s section
Please make sure they read it!
The App that your child has or wants to use is specially designed for young people. It lets them:
- see how much money they have
- move money between accounts
- make payments to companies or other people
When they’re 16, they’ll be able to upgrade the App to a version that has more features. There are some things about the App that we need to tell you to help you understand its implications for your child, and to enable you to help them if they ask. You should also read the whole of this document to ensure you are happy with the promises your child gives to use the App.
If you or your child needs help with the App
If you or your child needs help using the App, you can:
- call our helpline on 03332 001 014 – 24 hours, +44 3332 001 014 – outside the UK
- come into a branch and ask staff there or make an appointment to see a Barclays Digital Eagle. They offer a free, friendly service where they can help you with anything digital (not only about banking)
How much does the App cost?
Barclays won’t charge you for using the App, but your network provider can charge for data as the App uses the internet to work. Please make sure you’re happy with this before your child installs the App.
If you think someone else could have accessed your child’s account through their phone or tablet
If you think someone else has taken money from your child’s account, or is trying to, call us right away on the numbers below.
- 03332 001 014 – 24 hours
- +44 3332 001 014 – outside the UK
Conditions for using the App
To use the App, your child needs to keep their phone or tablet safe, not to tell anyone their security information, and not to use the App in a way that could hurt Barclays or another person. In addition, we ask you and your child to agree to these conditions:
- Don’t install or use the App on a jail-broken or rooted device. These devices have had their security features changed in order to work, which makes them less secure. Fraudsters could access the phone or tablet to steal your child’s information or money
- Don’t use the App to upload, store or share inappropriate or illegal images or content that breaches the rights of others
- Don’t attempt to make any income from using the App
- Don’t use the App in a way that could damage the App or stop it from working or affect our systems or other users
- Don’t collect or harvest any information or data from the App or our systems (‘hack’) or try to read any messages or information not meant for you
- Please take time to explain these to your child so they know what’s expected when using the App
Contacting your child
If there’s something we need to tell your child about the App, we’ll send a letter by post, send a message within the App, email or send a text message. We won’t ever ask for security details in any message we send.
Some parts of the App will use your child’s location
Some of the things in the App, like the ATM finder, need the user’s location to work. If your child uses these elements of the App, it means you agree that we (and other organisations that work with us) can collect and use information about their location. Please explain this to your child.
Maps in the App are provided by Google and Apple – your child will need to agree to their terms and conditions when using maps:
- Google Maps/ Google Earth APIs Terms and Conditions, available at https://www.google.com/accounts/TOS
If something goes wrong
If your child loses money but hasn’t done anything wrong, we’ll make sure they get their money back. But there are some things we’re not responsible for because these are out of our control or relate to how the phone or tablet works. So we can’t be responsible if:
- your child can’t access or use the App for any reason or it’s slow
- your child’s phone or tablet is damaged or doesn’t work
- the App doesn’t work as your child expects or doesn’t meet their requirements
- we won’t provide any service in part or in full because of something a third party does
Other things your child needs to read
- Your child also needs to read the leaflet ‘Barclays and You – terms and conditions for personal customers’
- This is our main agreement with your child and sets out what they can expect from us when they open an account or take out a service from us – and what we ask of them too, to help us keep their finances running smoothly
The App may use or include third party software and copyrighted material which we either own or have been licensed to use by third parties or through open source licences. We’ve listed some of the open source software we use in the ‘About’ section of the App and on our website. All rights, title and interest (including all copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents and other intellectual property rights) in the App belong to Barclays and our licensors, as applicable.
Call monitoring and charges information
Calls may be monitored or recorded for quality and training purposes. Calls to 03 numbers are charged at the same rate as calls to 01 and 02 landlines, and will count towards any inclusive minutes you have covering calls to landline numbers. Charges may apply when calling from abroad.
Barclays Bank UK PLC. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register number: 759676). Barclays Bank UK PLC adheres to The Standards of Lending Practice which is monitored and enforced by The Lending Standards Board. Further details can be found at www.lendingstandardsboard.org.uk.
Barclays Insurance Services Company Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Register number: 312078).
Barclays Smart Investor is a trading name of Barclays Investment Solutions Limited. Barclays Investment Solutions Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. (Financial Services Register number: 155595). Barclays Investment Solutions Limited is a member of the London Stock Exchange & NEX.
Barclays Bank PLC. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register number: 122702).
Barclays Bank UK PLC. Registered no. 9740322. Barclays Insurance Services Company Limited. Registered no. 973765. Barclays Investment Solutions Limited. Registered no. 2752982. Barclays Bank PLC. Registered no. 1026167. All registered in England. Registered office for all: 1 Churchill Place, London E14 5HP.