Youth App Terms and Conditions
For the purpose of these terms and conditions, ‘App’ means the Barclays App. You may be asked to accept another set of app terms and conditions when you sign up or log in, but only these Youth App Terms and Conditions apply when you use the App, so you can ignore any other terms and conditions.
What you need to know about your App
Take a close look
This is what you are agreeing to and how things work when you use the App on your phone or tablet.
What the App works on
At the moment, the App works on Android 5.0 and iOS 11 and above. Some of the features are different, depending on which version of Android or iOS you have. When you’re 16, your account will be upgraded and you will be able to use more features of the App.
Your promises when you use the App
Just like when you sign up for your BarclayPlus account, when you sign up for the App we ask you to do certain things.
- Make sure that your account details, and other information you give us, are correct and up to date and tell us if anything changes as soon as you can
- Don’t use the App in a way that could be illegal, could hurt us or another person
There are some other things you need to talk through with your parent(s) or guardian(s) before you sign up for the App: there’s more information about these in the section that’s just for them. Please talk these promises through with them.
How much does it cost?
Barclays won’t charge you for using the App, but your network provider can charge you (or the bill payer) for data as the App uses the internet to work. Before you download the App, make sure you have permission from the person who pays the bill (this could be your parent(s) or guardian(s)).
Keep safe while using the App
Because the App is a way of getting into your bank account:
- use a PIN to lock and unlock your phone or tablet so no one else can get into it
- always close the App when you’re not using it
- don’t tell anyone the passcodes for logging into your phone or tablet or the app
- tell your parent(s) or guardian(s) straight away if you think someone else could have your information, asks you for it, or could have used your account. You or your parent(s) or guardian(s) should contact us as soon as possible if this happens.
Some features need information on your phone or tablet to work
If you choose to use certain features in the App, like the ATM finder, we need to know your location for those to work. If you use these features of the App, you will need to agree that we (and other organisations that work with us) will collect and use information about your location.
You can manage how the App accesses your phone or tablet (including making choices about access to your location) using the settings on your device.
When you use the App, we’ll check certain things
To help keep your money safe, when you register and each time you use the App, our computers will check that it’s you. We use the same system to see how you use the App so that we can improve how the App works (for example, it can tell if people keep pressing the wrong buttons accidentally, so we can fix it).
These things are needed for the App to work and keep your account secure – you can’t use the App without these.
Some parts of the App will use your location
Some of the things in the App, like the ATM finder, need to know your location to work. If you want to use these features of the App, you have to agree that we (and other companies that work with us) can collect and use information about your location.
Maps in the App are provided by Google and Apple – their terms and conditions can be found at:
- Google Maps / Google Earth APIs Terms and Conditions, available at https://www.google.com/accounts/TOS
If something doesn’t look right
If you use the App to see how much money you have in your account(s) and something doesn’t look right (such as if you have less money than you think you should have), tell your parent(s) or guardian(s) straight away. If you or they think someone else could have taken money from your account, you or your parent(s) or guardian(s) can let us know. If you haven’t caused the loss, we’ll make sure you get your money back.
If we need to make any changes to the App
If we need to change anything about the App, we’ll tell you about the change before we make it (if it affects how you use the App) or we’ll tell you after we make it (if it benefits you or doesn’t affect how you use the App). We’ll send you a text or alert or display a message about the change when you next use the App or log into our website. If there’s anything we need you to agree we might ask you to read and accept a message on the phone or tablet screen before you can continue using the App.
From time to time we might issue updates to the App through the app store. Depending on what the update is, you may not be able to use the App until you’ve installed the latest version and accepted the new information about it. We’ll let you know via your phone or tablet when there’s a new version to upload.
Using the App
Barclays has granted you a right to use this App but Barclays remains the legal owner (or licensee) of the App and all legal rights in it. You are only allowed to use the App in the ways described in any user guidance or other information given to you by Barclays.
Parents and guardians section
The version of the App that your child has or wants to use is designed for young people. It lets them:
- see how much money they have;
- move money between accounts; and
- if they are over the age of 11, make payments to companies or other people to whom they have sent money before
When they’re 16, their account will be upgraded and they will be able to use more features of the App. There are some things about the App that we need to tell you to help you understand its implications for your child, and to enable you to help them if they ask you questions. You should also read the whole of this document to ensure you are happy with what your child agrees to in order to use the App.
If you or your child needs help with the App
If you or your child need help using the App, you can:
- call our helpline on 03332 001 014 – 24 hours, +44 3332 001 014 – outside the UK
- come into a branch and ask staff there or make an appointment to see a Barclays Digital Eagle. They offer a free, friendly service where they can help you with anything digital (not only about banking)
How much does the App cost?
Barclays won’t charge you or your child for using the App, but the network provider you use can charge for data as the App uses the internet to work. Please make sure you’re happy with this before your child installs the App.
If you think someone else could have accessed your child’s account through their phone or tablet
If you think someone else has accessed or taken money from your child’s account, or is trying to, call us right away on the numbers below.
- 03332 001 014 – 24 hours
- +44 3332 001 014 – outside the UK
Conditions for using the App
To use the App, your child needs to keep their phone or tablet safe, not to tell anyone their security information, and not to use the App in a way that could hurt Barclays or another person. In addition, we ask you and your child to agree to these conditions:
- Don’t install or use the App on a device which is ‘jail-broken’ or ‘rooted’. A ‘jail-broken’ or ‘rooted’ device is one which has had its security features changed in order to work, which makes it less secure. Fraudsters could access the phone or tablet to steal your child’s information or money
- Don’t use the App to upload, store or share inappropriate or illegal images or content that breaches the rights of others
- Don’t attempt to make any income from using the App
- Don’t use the App in a way that could damage the App or stop it from working or affect our systems or other users
- Don’t collect or harvest any information or data from the App or our systems (‘hack’) or try to read any messages or information not meant for you
- Please take time to explain these to your child so they know what’s expected when using the App
Contacting your child
If there’s something we need to tell your child about the App, we’ll send a letter by post, send a message within the App, email or send a text message. We won’t ever ask for security details in an electronic message we send.
Some parts of the App will use your child’s location
Some of the things in the App, like the ATM finder, need the user’s location to work. If your child uses these features of the App, it means they agree that we (and other companies that work with us) can collect and use information about their location. Please explain this to your child.
Maps in the App are provided by Google and Apple – their terms and conditions can be found at:
- Google Maps/ Google Earth APIs Terms and Conditions, available at https://www.google.com/accounts/TOS
If something goes wrong
If your child loses money but it’s not their fault, we’ll make sure they get their money back. There are some things we’re not responsible for because these are out of our control or relate to how the phone or tablet works. So we can’t be responsible if:
- your child can’t access or use the App for any reason or it’s slow
- your child’s phone or tablet is damaged or doesn’t work
- the App doesn’t work as your child expects or doesn’t meet their requirements
- we can’t provide any service in part or in full because of something a third party does
Other things your child needs to read
- Your child also needs to read the ‘Barclays and You’ – terms and conditions for personal customers’
- This is our main agreement with your child and sets out what they can expect from us when they open an account or take out a service from us – and what we ask of them too, to help us keep their finances running smoothly
Using the App
Please explain this to your child. Your child is allowed to use the App as Barclays has granted them a right to use it, but Barclays remains the legal owner (or licensee) of the App and all legal rights in it. Your child is only allowed to use the App in the ways described in any user guidance or other information given to them by Barclays.
Call monitoring and charges information
Calls may be monitored or recorded for quality and training purposes. Calls to 03 numbers are charged at the same rate as calls to 01 and 02 landlines, and will count towards any inclusive minutes you have covering calls to landline numbers. Charges may apply when calling from abroad.
Barclays Bank UK PLC is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register number: 759676). Barclays Bank UK PLC is registered in England. Registered no. 9740322. Registered office: 1 Churchill Place, London E14 5HP.